Just wanna share this article that I wrote to enter my company's 35th anniversary contest. (",)
------------------------
Scholarship and Bond. The two are almost like Chang and Eng - inseparable, indispensable and intricately linked.
I took up the Income scholarship 4.5 years ago after the release of my A levels results. I have many asking me, " Oh you're Income's scholar? How long is the bond? " The second question seems so predictable and with a certain tinge of forlornness. But put it differently, without the bond, I may one of the thousands of local graduates out there - still seeking employment. It has been 1.5 years in Income.
During my short short stay in Income, I have been posted at Main Servicing before adjourning to Actuarial, and currently, I'm at Corporate Planning. One word to sum up my experience of working in Income: Gratefulness. Other than sponsoring my university studies and enabling my employment in Income, Income has given me autonomy in pursing my interest in the work I enjoy doing. In my course of work, I've learnt to embrace changes and analyse issues from various angles. And of course, with the love and support from my wonderful colleagues and bosses, my stay in Income has been more than enjoyable.
Many of my peers had started sending their resumes even before they graduated. For some, the process continued even after 1 or 2 years after graduated. For those who secured employment, they got to work ardously to repay their university loan. Against such dire backdrop of unemployment and financial burden, I feel that I'm really fortunate to have the HR dept calling me to report for work, without having to prepare a single resume, and after which, my first pay check (after cpf contribution) went fully into my bank account.
Yes, I'm bonded to Income for 5 years. But I'm not bonded to the type of work within the organisation. After my university studies in Actuarial Science, I'm not quite sure if I really want to go down the long road of being an actuary. I chose to go Actuarial department (AT) nevertheless, after my posting at Main Servicing, keeping my options open. I'm very glad for the opportunities given there for me to learn.
The help and support from colleagues at AT was tremeduous. However, when an opportunity to be rotated to Corporate Planning (CP) came in mid last year, I accepted it purposely. I really wanted to try something out of Actuarial. I'm sure actuarial education is still applicable outside AT itself. Working at CP helps me to have a clearer understanding of Income's culture, structure and organisational direction.
Indeed, there are many different types of interesting work in Income. I firmly believe that opportunities can be created for every individual, who will enjoy and perform best in his niche area of work where interest and expertise converge. I'm especially thankful that I'm given the chance to discover my niche, while contributing to Income in positive ways.
Income is a dynamic organisation with changes and new initiatives sprouting in our almost any and every strategic process. I'm one person who likes changes. For really, change is indispensable - except from the vending machine. I've learnt to work with changes, and even to embrace changes. Am I glad that many things here are not cast in stone. The mindset of "do-learn-adapt" and giving tentative answers reverses my old approach of giving a perfect solution. This can mean a more relaxed working attitude and relieve work stress - sometimes even in sending an email!
Of course, I would still give my utmost in the work I do. It's a healthy, personal pride. Also, through various discussions, both face-to-face and over emails, I got to learn how others get their work done, how they analyse certain issues and present solutions. In fact, I'm secretly impressed at the talent of people we got in Income. Amazing!
Ultimately, it is the people that makes an organisation. Without the love and support of colleagues and bosses, Income, for me, would just be a place where I work, work, and work - where's the fun and joy? I appreciate the people friendly culture in Income where most people I've met are very helpful or even pleased to help in every way they can. I've made wonderful friends in Income. Some may have left, but we're still contacting each other.
All in all, I'm grateful that Income has selected me to join the organisation. Many more good years to come!
Wednesday, June 22, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
You have a very wonderful and positive outlook. Dedicating your life to God and having a strong faith in Him is also great!
Great to have worked with you in CP! You're an asset to the team! :)
Interesting way of chronicling how Income has impacted you. Atta sista!!
Post a Comment